Sonora Quest Surg Path Asst I - 11206 in Mesa, Arizona
This job was posted by http://www.azjobconnection.gov : For more information, please see: http://www.azjobconnection.gov/ada/r/jobs/3663439 City:
n(FA) 1.0 - 40 Hoursn
nMonday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sundayn
Required to Work:
nWeekends, Holidays, On Calln
This position will work with anatomic pathology cases at Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa. This position requires previous on the job clinical laboratory experience and will work in a fast paced environment with extensive attention to detail.
nSonora Quest Laboratories, a joint venture between Banner Health and Quest Diagnostics, is the nation's largest integrated laboratory system with approximately 3,100 employees serving more than 23,000 patients every day throughout Arizona. We are the market share leader in clinical laboratory testing in Arizona, performing more than 60 million diagnostic tests per year. We are CAP accredited and are the only healthcare company ever to receive our state's highest quality award, the Arizona Governor's Award for Quality . n
nWe are seeking knowledgeable, resourceful, and adaptable employees who enjoy busy work environments, problem solving, and innovative process improvement. We want to have the best possible impact in patient diagnostic outcomes and are looking for like minded, patient focused folks who genuinely care about patient care.n
This position will receive and triage tissue and cytology specimens and provide necessary support functions; assist with frozen sections, bone marrows and fine needles; provides clerical support and maintains equipment.
1. Receives, accessions and labels specimens and corresponding paperwork, assuring proper identification and specimen integrity. Documents any problems utilizing proper protocol. Performs required computer and clerical functions for all surgical and cytology (as required) specimens. Assists pathologists or pathologist assistants with set-up functions, including printing cassettes. Prepares containers and cassettes for shipment to appropriate processing site, placing in appropriate transport coolers with accompanying paperwork and proper routing slip.
2. Assists with frozen sections by operating a cryostat utilizing correct settings, temperatures, alignments and knife angles to insure optimum sectioning. Accessions, processes, cuts and stains fresh samples for frozen section diagnosis. Places call to appropriate physicians so pathologist may give results. Properly stamps and records all specimens for Turn Around Time documentation process. Transfers tissue to the corresponding cassette and places in formalin for permanent processing. Handles frozen section permanent specimens as directed in #1.
3. Assists with autopsies by ensuring all required supplies (including restocking) are available in morgue. Reviews paperwork and documentation ensuring it is properly completed prior to autopsy. Accessions autopsy case and prepares cassettes and containers.
4. Assists with procedures as directed, i.e. fine needle aspirations, bone marrows, following site procedures and utilizing the skills required for accessioning, labeling and preparing for transport.
5. Provides clerical assistance to include triaging of phone calls to the appropriate pathologist or staff member. Effectively trouble shoots and appropriately documents all problems relating to specimens and Surgical Pathology procedures.
6. Maintains all equipment, staining protocols, slide and block filing systems, retained tissue specimens and other materials removed in surger . Fills out all maintenance sheets on a routine basis as directed.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. 6 months previous medical laboratory experience in specimen handling skills. Requires good communication, comprehension and typing skills. possess a significant understanding and knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within the Pathology field. Evidence of increasing responsibility in personnel interaction and organizational skills required. Soft skills include oral/written communication skills, analytical/strategic skills, ability to utilize necessary computer programs including Word and Excel; must possess the ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously. AA degree preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.