Work in Arizona Jobs

Job Information

National Park Service Environmental Health Technician in Grand Canyon, Arizona

Summary This position is located in Grand Canyon National Park on the South Rim, in the Facilities Management Division. Please visit find a park for additional park information. Responsibilities This position as a Environmental Health Technician /Laboratory Technician for the state certified environmental laboratory within the Grand Canyon National Park working for the Park's Water Utility. This position will collect and analyze samples, assess water and wastewater facilities across the canyon, on the South Rim, North Rim, and Inner Canyon, occasionally requiring hiking, flying and traveling by helicopter to access remote sites. Perform analytical testing and laboratory analyses for in-house testing of water/wastewater using appropriate methods that are approved by the regulatory authority. Perform all recordkeeping and data management duties for the state-certified laboratory, drinking water, and four (4) wastewater treatment plants. Prepare over 100 regulatory reports each year, including Drinking Water Reports, Discharge Monitoring Reports, Aquifer Protection Permit Self-Monitoring Reports, Bacteriological Monitoring Reports, Biosolids Reports, and Water Use Reports. Responsible for ensuring park compliance with all drinking water, wastewater, and environmental regulations, Ground Water Rule, Revised Total Coliform Rule , Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Monitoring Assistance Program requirements, etc. Responsible for all purchases and requisitions of state-certified laboratory, process control laboratories in all wastewater treatment plants, and safety equipment within the laboratory budget. Requirements Conditions of Employment Qualifications In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience. If qualifying based on education, a copy of your unofficial transcripts must be provided with your application. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: To be considered minimally qualified for this position, you must demonstrate that you have the required specialized experience and/or education for the respective grade level in which you are applying: GS-08: Specialized Experience: Applicants must have at least one (1) full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-07 level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors) performing the following duties: (1) performing laboratory analysis for in-house testing of water/wastewater; (2) following laboratory safety procedures to include hazardous material handling and disposal; (3) calibrating laboratory equipment and instruments; (4) familiarity with the Clean Water Act and Safe Drinking Water Act; (5) communicating laboratory findings/results verbally and in writing. OR Education: Successful completion of at least two (2) full years (36 semester hours) of graduate level education or a Master's degree from an accredited college or university, which provided me with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of this position. (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts as proof of any claimed education). OR Combination: Successful completion of a combination of education and experience as described above. To combine education and experience, first divide your semester hours of graduate education beyond one (1) year (18 semester hours) by 18. Then take the number of months of full-time experience and divide by 12 months. Add the percentages together. The total must equal at least 100 percent to qualify. (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts as proof of any claimed education). Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement. IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies". Physical Demands: The physical effort may be from light to moderate. Sample containers and coolers may weigh up to 50 pounds. Considerable time is spent standing and walking while performing laboratory analysis. Some outside work is required in collecting samples and river and stream monitoring. Periods of walking, hiking, lifting and carrying objects, helicopter travel, and visits to remote sites will be required in the job. Work can be both inside and outside with personnel exposed to weather elements including heat, cold, rain, and snow. Work may be performed both during the day and at night Working Conditions: Work in the laboratory involves handling acids, bases, toxic chemicals, and pathogenic microorganisms. There is also exposure to pathogenic organisms in the field operation with wastewater treatment. The employee may be exposed to insect bites, bruises, cuts, falls, burns, and scrapes. Will be exposed to raw and treated sewage. Will be constantly exposed to moving machinery and chemical feed systems and equipment typical of work performed in the water/ wastewater industry. Must work around hazardous chemicals, gases, liquids, and reagents and must have a solid working knowledge of safety practices and procedures when working with these chemicals. May be exposed to confined spaces, biological hazards, hearing hazards, electrical hazards, moving machinery, trenching hazards, and other potentially dangerous conditions and must at all times adhere to all safety practices and procedures when exposed to these hazards. May be exposed to loud and high-pitched noises, slippery surfaces above and below ground level, moving vehicles and equipment, and noisy power tools and machinery. Education To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. Additional Information Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program. You will be required to submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test result prior to appointment. In addition, this position is subject to random testing for illegal drug use. You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver's license is required. You will be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. If selected you will be required to submit a valid driver's license prior to entry on duty. Occupancy of government quarters is required. You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided. You may be required to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime. If you are a new employee in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period. You may be required to travel overnight away from home up to 3nights per month. You must obtain a government charge card for travel purposes. You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority. Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim) Housing Information: Permanent employees are eligible for government housing that is located within the park boundaries. If the employee's pay scale is WG-09 and higher, that employee can be assigned housing, only if housing is available. If housing is available and ready for occupancy, that employee can have family members accompany them. Permanent employees that are WG-08 and lower will be assigned to shared government quarters. And they will have a roommate or roommates. Employees in shared quarters cannot have family members or pets. Shared quarters will be furnished with government furniture and appliances. If quarters do not have laundry appliances, the park has provided a laundromat located in the old maintenance area. Permanent and term employees can move from shared quarters to other single family or singles quarters through the bidding system. To be awarded other housing options, the bidding system is based on time in service. time in the park, and paygrade. For further information on the housing situation. contact Vince Hoover or Geri Burke at the Housing Office. (928) 638-7796/7853. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) or Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP or CTAP eligible see To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.