International Rescue Committee Front Desk Assistant in Glendale, Arizona
Requisition ID: req20140
Job Title: Front Desk Assistant
Sector: Administrative/General Office
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression. For over 25 years our Phoenix office has provided a range of services including resettlement and economic empowerment services, immigration, community gardening and case management for victims of trafficking.
Our strength and success lie within our core values of Service, Accountability, Equality, and Integrity. We are strongly motivated by our clients and are dedicated to delivering high-impact and quality programs.
The Front Desk Assistant, at the Phoenix location, will provide general office support with a variety of clerical activities and related tasks. This role will serve as the site’s primary Receptionist; greeting, welcoming, and directing visitors and clients appropriately; notifying IRC’s personnel of visitor/client arrival; maintaining the lobby and front desk; as well as the telecommunications and check-in systems.
· Welcome staff, clients and guests by greeting them, in person or on the telephone, with a warm and friendly demeanor;
· Treat all staff, clients and guests with respect, professionalism, kindness and dignity;
· Answer or refer inquiries from clients and guests to the appropriate staff person;
· Conduct appointment-setting and follow-up calls along with checking voicemail system and sending messages to appropriate staff person;
· Maintain up-to-date information on front desk processes and procedures as well as lobby bulletin boards with up-to-date information/flyers, and a safe and clean reception area;
· Ensure staff, clients and guests are checking-in when they arrive to the IRC using the online Proxyclick system;
· Train, supervise and schedule volunteers to help support the front desk;
· Participate in all program meetings, staff development activities, and fully engage as a member of the team;
· Follow all policies, procedures and protocols of the agency;
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Support the check-in of Immigration clients for their appointments, receive documents from clients and forward on to appropriate Immigration Staff, provide referrals and information on IRC Immigration Programs such as citizenship classes and legal clinics and register them for programs for the Immigration Department;
· Support the check-in of other program (Direct Services, Economic Empowerment, New Roots, and Education programs) clients which includes clients for their appointments, receive documents from clients and forward on to appropriate staff, provide referrals and information on IRC programs and services;
· Provide referral forms, collect and pass off to the Safety & Wellness (S&W) Program in a confidential manner for clients who are survivors of crime, asylum seekers, and/or in need of emotional/mental health support;
· For clients coming to the front in need of support for i.e. housing but not interested in case management or do not qualify, the Front Desk Assistant should be able to direct them to the appropriate external resources;
· Gauge the difference between emergency/crisis and urgent requests in order to ascertain the appropriate support from the S&W Program. The front desk Assistant should have knowledge of the domestic violence protocol and learn to observe red flags in order to refer clients.
Associate or undergraduate degree or equivalent years of related work experience;
· Minimum 1+ years relevant work experience in administration, receptionist, or other experience in providing professional customer service;
· Consistent professional dress and manner;
· Previous multi-cultural experience and demonstrated ability to communicate well with people of varied backgrounds required;
· Ability to work independently, be a self-starter and maintain responsibility for multiple tasks;
· Ability to be flexible, prioritize and detail oriented;
· Ability to be resourceful and proactive in dealing with issues that may arise;
· Ability to speak in a clear and friendly manner over the phone;
· Ability to greet clients and visitors in a friendly and welcoming manner when face-to-face;
· Excellent organization, customer service and time management skills;
· Strong English written and verbal communication skills;
· Strong computer skills including keyboard and data entry; Microsoft Office and Box for document sharing and storage.
· Proficiency in an additional language relevant to current refugee populations preferred (particularly Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Spanish, Arabic, Dari, or Farsi).
· Professional, fast-paced office environment;
· Must be able to sit and use a computer for long periods of time;
· Position hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.